Hire a Top Visa Lawyer & Begin Your New Life in the United States

Whether you are interested in an immigrant or non-immigrant visa, visa lawyer Michael G. Murray, P.A. can help you to understand the options available to you. 


How Can a Visa Lawyer Help Me?

Many people are interested in coming to live in the United States, whether temporarily or permanently. A consultation with an experienced immigration attorney can help you to understand the options available to you individually as well as to your family or employees. 

While many different types of visas exist under U.S. immigration law, they tend to fall into several large categories. First, you should understand the difference between an immigrant visa and a non-immigrant visa. Generally speaking, an immigrant visa offers permanent residence in the United States and an eventual path to becoming a citizen. Conversely, non-immigrant visas are temporary in nature and generally do not offer a path to citizenship. 

One of the most common paths by which an individual obtains an immigrant visa (often known as “residency”) is through a family relationship. In immigration law, spouses of U.S. citizens, unmarried children of U.S. citizens who are under the age of 21, and parents of U.S. citizens who are over the age of 21 are considered “immediate relatives.” There is an unlimited amount of immigrant visas available for immediate relatives of U.S. citizens and they are not subject to any waiting period beyond the time required for processing. 

Immigrant visas are also available for non-immediate relatives of U.S. citizens, as well as for some relatives of residents (also known as “green-card holders”). However, United States immigration law limits the amount of these visas that are available each year. As a result, these relatives may be subject to long wait times before they can obtain their immigrant visas. The U.S. Department of State maintains a “visa bulletin” to track the availability of these visas. 

Depending on the type of visa you are seeking, it may be necessary to appear at an interview with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Having an experienced attorney like Michael G. Murray, P.A. to prepare your application and appear alongside you at your interview will give you the greatest chance of obtaining a green card, also known as an “adjustment of status.” 

Depending on the type of visa you eventually obtain, you will likely also be eligible to obtain work authorization in the United States. 


United States Employment Visa Attorney 

One of the most common paths to obtaining non-immigrant status in the United States is through employment visas, sometimes called “work visas.” While there are many kinds of employment-based visas, the H-1B may be the best known. 

H-1B visas are available to certain types of professionals who work in specialty occupations and who have a United States company that is willing and able to petition for a visa on their behalf. One of the requirements of an H-1B visa petition is a qualifying job offer for a position in a specialty occupation from such a company. The organization petitioning for the applicant will also have to file a labor certification with the department of labor before initiating the application process. Once the employer has filed the labor certification, the applicant and their immigration lawyers will begin the application process by filing Form I-129, Petition for a Nonimmigrant Worker

An individual who enters the United States on this type of employment-based visa is generally known as a “nonimmigrant worker.” Generally, although not always, an individual must have a bachelor’s degree in a field related to their profession to qualify for an H-1B visa. 

Because the process for obtaining an H-1B visa or another type of employment-based visa is complex, you should consult an experienced immigration law firm to understand the options available to you, the requirements that must be met, and the application process that must be completed. 

Other types of non-immigrant visas available to workers include O visas for individuals who possess extraordinary ability, P visas for athletes, artists, and entertainers, L visas for employees of multinational corporations, H visas for temporary workers, and more. On a similar note, the J visa allows individuals known as “exchange visitors” to temporarily stay in the U.S. to participate in an approved program for the interchange of people, knowledge, and skills, but not all applicants for this visa require employers. Ultimately, the visa status that an interested person will qualify for will depend on their reason for coming to the United States as well as their professional background.

In addition, United States immigration law offers visas to aspiring immigrants who invest in U.S.-based companies. One of these types of visas, known as an EB-5, allows an individual investor to obtain their adjustment of status (also known as receiving a “green card” or obtaining permanent residence) in approximately 18 months, which is much quicker than many types of visas. If you would like to learn more about investment visas, contact Austin immigration attorney Michael G. Murray, P.A. today. 


Work with a Visa Lawyer Near Me

If you are in the United States and have been placed into removal or deportation proceedings, an experienced immigration attorney can give you the best chance of remaining in the United States and obtaining legal status. Depending on your situation, you may be eligible for a variety of defenses to your removal. For example, if you have children who are United States citizens, you have not been convicted of a disqualifying criminal offense, and you have been present in the United States for over 10 years, you may qualify for cancellation of removal for non-residents. 

It is important to know that having a green card does not prevent the government from initiating deportation proceedings against you. However, depending on your situation, you may be eligible for cancellation of removal for permanent residents. Depending on the route through which you obtained your green card, you will be eligible to apply for citizenship between 3 and 5 years after becoming a permanent resident. 

If you have a fear of returning to your home country, you may be eligible to apply for asylum. The law surrounding asylum is complex, but an experienced immigration law firm can give you the best chance of winning your case. Contact Michael G. Murray, P.A. today to understand the options available to you. 


Other Options from Your Immigration Visa Lawyer

United States immigration law offers the possibility of legal status for victims of domestic violence and other crimes. If you have been the victim of a crime, you may be eligible for a U-visa. While a U-visa is a nonimmigrant visa, it is unique in that it does offer a path to residency, and, therefore, an eventual path to citizenship. 

A visa attorney at our firm can help you to understand whether you may be eligible for a U-visa or another type of visa and can help you with the application process. Our attorneys are dedicated to the success of our clients, and when you reach out to us, we’ll explore every legal avenue with you.


Immigration Lawyer Fees

Each type of visa application has different requirements, and each individual’s eligibility will vary. As a result, individual fees can differ. 

If you have concerns about your immigration status or are interested in obtaining an immigrant or non-immigrant visa, the experienced immigration team at Michael G. Murray, P.A. would like to assist you. Contact our law firm through the contact form on our website or give us a phone call at (512) 215-4407 to schedule a consultation today.