The USCIS recently announced that Honduras’ Temporary Protected Status has been extended again, due to the devastating impact of Hurricane Mitch. This recent extension period lasts from July 6, 2016  through January 5, 2018. Below are some frequently asked questions:

What is TPS?

The Secretary of Homeland Security may designate a foreign country for TPS due to conditions in the country that temporarily prevent the country’s nationals from returning safely, or in certain circumstances, where the country is unable to handle the return of its nationals adequately.  USCIS may grant TPS to eligible nationals of certain countries (or parts of countries), who are already in the United States.  Eligible individuals without nationality who last resided in the designated country may also be granted TPS. If you have any questions in regard to this, you may want to speak with a Miami immigration lawyer.

I am a current beneficiary of TPS from Honduras, and I want to continue receiving TPS status. What should I do?

If you are a current beneficiary of TPS from Honduras and you wish to continue receiving TPS status, you must reregister during the 60-day period between May 16, 2016 and July 15, 2016. U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) asks prospective applicants to submit their reregistrations as soon as possible after May 16, in order to avoid later logjams and delays. Again, if you have any questions in regard to this process, you may want to consult with a Miami immigration attorney.

Will I be able to receive a new work permit when I reapply for the TPS extension?

Your TPS extension will include the possibility of receiving a new work permit (also called an Employment Authorization Document or EAD). You will need to request a new EAD along with your registration. Its expiration date will be January 5, 2018. In case you do not receive your new EAD until after your old one expires, USCIS is automatically extending current TPS Honduras EADs bearing a July 5, 2016 expiration date for six months, ending on January 5, 2017. If you have any questions about this process, you should speak with a Miami immigration attorney.

My TPS application was denied. How do I appeal a denial?

If USCIS denies your application, you will be informed in the denial notice whether you have 30 days to appeal to the USCIS Administrative Appeals Office (AAO). If you do not have the right to appeal because you were placed in removal proceedings when your TPS application was denied by USCIS, you can request that the immigration judge adjudicate your TPS application. If USCIS denies your TPS application, we recommend that you consult with a Miami immigration lawyer to determine whether you should pursue an appeal or motion. If you have been placed in removal proceedings, you may request that the immigration judge adjudicate your TPS application. If an immigration judge denies your request for TPS, you may file an appeal with the BIA.

If you have would like more information about TPS for Honduran citizens, please contact Miami immigration lawyer Michael G. Murray, Esq. at (305) 895-2500 or visit our website at

Coronavirus update: We are safely open for business! USCIS is still accepting new filings for all applications. Our office is offering virtual consultations for new clients so that you don't have to come to our office in person. Call us to schedule your virtual meeting today.
This is default text for notification bar