1. Changes to law and or policy may have an effect on eligibility or processing times. If you qualify for lawful permanent resident status now, the best advice is to pursue the benefit immediately.
  2. Changes to the applications over the past several years, have caused a lot of confusion and have restricted immigration as a result. By adding extra pages of questions, simply put, adds to the risk of misinterpretation or mistakes, which could result in denials of applications. Thus, it is smart to file now, before new changes are made to immigration applications.
  3. Personal circumstances may change, which prevent you from filing. A common example is the green card application based on marriage to a United States citizen. If the marriage is no longer intact, or you are separated or divorced, the I-130 petition supporting the I-485 adjustment to lawful permanent residence is no longer approvable. If you would have filed when the marriage was intact and received conditional resilience, a later divorce or separation would not jeopardize the approval of an I-751 petition to remove the condition on residence application.
  4. Filing fees increase over time and there is currently a Trump attempt to increase immigration filing fees, which is currently on hold pending litigation. Word to the wise – file now to avoid extra costs later.
  5. The right to vote – lawful permanent residence leads to citizenship after 5 years (or 3 years if married to a U.S. citizen). Once you are a citizen of the United States, you have the right to vote, which is a tremendous privilege.
  6. File for family members – once you become a lawful permanent resident or U.S. citizen you are potentially able to petition for other immigrant family members to live in the U.S.
  7. Travel – When you file for adjustment of status, you may at no additional charge, file for a travel permit, which can allow you to visit friends or relatives while the application is pending.
  8. Employment opportunity – When filing your green card application, you can normally file for work authorization or work permit at the same time. Your work authorization may be approved much faster than you receive your green card, so that you can take advantage of employment opportunities available to you.

To speak with an experienced Austin immigration lawyer about filing you adjustment of status green card application,  please call  Austin immigration lawyer Michael G. Murray, of Michael G.Murray, P.A. You can call today at (512) 215-4407, or contact the firm online, to learn more.

Call Us Today to Schedule a Consultation with an Experienced Immigration Attorney

Coronavirus update: We are safely open for business! USCIS is still accepting new filings for all applications. Our office is offering virtual consultations for new clients so that you don't have to come to our office in person. Call us to schedule your virtual meeting today.
This is default text for notification bar