As a Miami immigration lawyer, I often receive questions from my clients wanting to confirm if they are really  supposed to tell U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) every time they move to a new address. Below are some frequently asked questions.

Do I have to provide USCIS with my new address every time I move?

The short answer is: yes. Almost all non-U.S. citizens who are in the U.S. are required to give USCIS their new address. If you have any questions in regard to this, you may want to speak with a Miami immigration lawyer.

Is there a deadline to provide USCIS with my new address?

Yes, you will generally required to provide USCIS with a new address within 10 days of moving. Again, if you have any questions in regard to this, you may want to speak with a Miami immigration lawyer.

Are there any groups who do not have to provide USCIS with their address after moving?

There are some select groups  who do not have to give USCIS their address after moving, including: diplomats (A visa), foreign government representatives to international organizations (G visa), and some nonimmigrants without visas who are in the U.S. for less than 30 days.

How do I provide USCIS with my change of address?

If you have already retained a Miami immigration attorney, let your Miami immigration attorney know what your new address is. If you do not have a Miami immigration lawyer, you can submit your change of address online, or call USCIS’s customer service number, 800-375-5283, to change your address. You can also complete Form AR-11  and mail it to the address listed on the form. If you’re changing your address through the mail and you have submitted any applications to USCIS that are still being processed, it is a good idea to send a letter to the office that is processing your application to let them know that you have a new address.

I am a lawful permanent resident (LPR) who has never given USCIS a new address. What now?

According to the law, willfully (intentionally) failing to give USCIS your new address is a misdemeanor that can be punished by a fine of up to $200 and up to 30 days in jail. In addition, the law also says that an LPR can actually be removed (deported) for failing to give USCIS a new address, unless the LPR can prove: (1) that the failure to report a change of address was “reasonably excusable” or (2) that the failure was not “willful.” If the scenario above applies to you, you should consult with a Miami immigration lawyer to explore your options.

Will I always have to provide USCIS with my new address, even when I’m a citizen?

No. Once you are a U.S. citizen, you’ll never have to give USCIS your address again.

If you would like more information on providing providing USCIS with your new address, please contact Miami immigration lawyer Michael G. Murray, Esq. at (305) 895-2500 or visit our website at

Coronavirus update: We are safely open for business! USCIS is still accepting new filings for all applications. Our office is offering virtual consultations for new clients so that you don't have to come to our office in person. Call us to schedule your virtual meeting today.
This is default text for notification bar