The best answer is: you don’t. A great example is the recent change in form edition for the I-485 Application for Adjustment of Status, commonly referred to as a green card application. A recent update to the USCIS website stated as follows:

Update to Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status. New Edition Dated 07/15/22.

July 20, 2022

Edition Date: 07/15/22. Starting Sept. 21, 2022, we will only accept the 07/15/22 edition. Until then, you can also use the 03/29/21 and 03/10/21 editions. You can find the edition date at the bottom of the page on the form and instructions.

After September 27, 2022, if you use the previous form edition for the I-485, your case would be rejected and you will have to apply over again.

Another example deals with government filing fees. If, for example, you are filing a green application for yourself and your 13 year old child, you may not realize that children under 14 years old require a lower filing fee than adults. If you pay the wrong amount, the application will be rejected and you will have to apply again.

And finally, every I-485 application must include things like passport sized photographs, a medical, and the I-864 affidavit of support. These items each have their own specific requirements that if not followed precisely, will result in a rejection of the application and you will have to apply over again.

While all the requirements for the green card application can be found online at, each application has its own set of instructions, and some of the language is written in a confusing manner. If you are sophisticated enough that your research landed you to this article, it is certainly possible that you can successfully file your green card application yourself. That said, the peace of mind knowing with certainty that the application has been filed appropriately has significant value. It’s certainly worth contacting our office to learn about our reasonable flat rates.

To speak with an experienced Austin immigration lawyer about filing adjustment of status, i.e. green card application, please call experienced Austin immigration lawyer Michael G. Murray, of Michael G.Murray, P.A. You can call today at (512) 215-4407, or contact the firm online, to learn more. Call Us Today to Schedule a Consultation with an Austin Immigration Attorney

Coronavirus update: We are safely open for business! USCIS is still accepting new filings for all applications. Our office is offering virtual consultations for new clients so that you don't have to come to our office in person. Call us to schedule your virtual meeting today.
This is default text for notification bar