As a Miami immigration attorney, I have sometimes received concerned questions about whether it is possible to lose your U.S. citizenship after obtaining it (i.e. becoming naturalized). Below are some frequently asked questions?

I need/want to live outside of the United States for a long period of time. Will I lose my citizenship?

Generally- no. If you are already a US citizens, or have gone through the naturalization process to become a US citizenship, you will not lose citizenship solely by living outside of the United States for a long time (although there are certain factors you should be aware of – read on).

I am a green card holder (Legal Permanent Resident), and I need to live outside the United States for a long time. Will I lose my green card status?

If you are a green card holder and not a US citizen, you may have a problem. The immigration authorities typically frown upon green card holders who live outside the US for a long time, because they can be found to have “abandoned” their residency in the US. If this scenario applies to you, I would strongly suggest that you consult with a Miami immigration lawyer to discuss your options, as you could be refused reentry to the United States.

Are there any circumstances whereby a US citizen will lose his/her citizenship?

There are some exceptions, including when one of the following takes place:

  • Your citizenship was obtained illegally (through fraud or concealment of a material fact), and the U.S. government revokes your citizenship. If this happens, it would be best for you to call a Miami immigration lawyer to discuss your options.
  • You do something that falls under the U.S.’s “loss of nationality” statute. An important thing to notice about this statute is that it contains some wiggle room: The person who performs the relevant act must do so “with the intention of relinquishing United States nationality” in order to lose citizenship. These include:
    • You become the citizen of another country after age 18. (Remember – you also have to “intend” to relinquish US nationality).
    • You join the military of a foreign state that is currently engaged in hostilities against the U.S. If this applies to you, you may be found to have relinquished your U.S. citizenship.
    • Joining the government of a foreign state after age 18. If you serve in any office, post, or employment under the government of a foreign state, and you either acquire that state’s nationality or take a required oath, the US immigration authorities may find that you have relinquished your U.S. citizenship.
    • You performed an act to intentionally give up your citizenship. Some people, perhaps because they wish to live in another country which does not permit dual citizenship, may file a formal act of renunciation.
    • You committed treason or other acts against the U.S. government. Conspiring to do things like overthrow, bear arms against, or make war on the United States can result in a finding that you have given up your U.S. citizenship.

If you would like more information on citizenship issues, please contact Miami immigration lawyer Michael G. Murray, Esq. at (305) 895-2500 or visit our website at

Coronavirus update: We are safely open for business! USCIS is still accepting new filings for all applications. Our office is offering virtual consultations for new clients so that you don't have to come to our office in person. Call us to schedule your virtual meeting today.
This is default text for notification bar