The Fiancé Visa: Green Card Process for an Immigrant Soon to be Married to U.S. Citizen

>>The Fiancé Visa: Green Card Process for an Immigrant Soon to be Married to U.S. Citizen
  • Fiancé Visa - Green Card - Obtaining a visa for your Fiancé - Immigration

Couples that consist of an immigrant and a U.S. citizen have several paths to obtaining a visa for the immigrant. You and your soon-to-be spouse have two options to obtain a visa. First, you could receive a “fiancé visa,” before you get married. Alternatively, you could also get married outside of the United States and then use a K-3 marriage visa to permit your new spouse to return. This article will introduce you to the K-1 fiancé visa. If you are a U.S. citizen considering bringing your spouse to the United States, you may want to check with an immigration lawyer in Austin.

The Fiancé Visa: An Overview

A fiancé visa (also known as a K-1 nonimmigrant visa) allows an immigrant to come to the United States for the purpose of marrying their fiancé(e). The citizen who wants to bring their partner into the U.S. must initiate this process by filing Form I-129F, Petition for Alien Fiancé(e).

One of the vital aspects of the Petition is that the couple must get married within 90 days of the non-citizen entering the United States. Once the immigrant has officially married their U.S. citizen fiancé, he or she can apply for lawful permanent resident status.

Proving a Bona Fide Relationship

Regardless of what kind of visa you request, you will need to show that you have a bona fide relationship with the non-resident. Going through the process to not only petition for the visa, but also prove your relationship can be very challenging. If anything about the relationship seems questionable, you could face serious consequences. Involving an experienced immigration lawyer in Austin if your petition gets questioned is crucial.

It is a good idea to involve an Austin Immigration Lawyer – Abogados de Inmigracion en Austin TX – throughout the process of obtaining a visa for your soon-to-be spouse. Contact Michael G. Murray, P.A. for more information.

We handle a variety of immigration cases, so call us now if you have any questions.

View more contact information here: Immigration Lawyer In Austin.